Brubacher House was built in 1850 and is therefore prone to the normal issues of an old farmhouse. While living there, the hosts have encountered many memorable mishaps and different kinds of rodents.
A water-filled basement
and other weather mishaps
Dorothy Bean had several entries in her daily diary about the water and weather problems at Brubacher House:
- December 6, 1982: Water in basement.
- December 21, 1982: I fell on my butt while getting mail.
- December 27, 1982: Vacuumed 15 pails of water from the basement floor.
- December 28, 1982: Picked up 13 pails of water in basement.
- March 7, 1983: Car snowed in so took the bus to church.
- November 28, 1983: Windy. Hydro off for 45 minutes.
- February 25, 1985: U.W. men came to clean up water in basement. Ida made a fire to dry out the brick floor.
- April 8, 1985: Telephone got fixed. It had been hit by lightning. U.W. men came and to mop up water.
- June 29, 1986: Fed geese and walked around golf course. Rain and hail storm came up and blew the door shut and all were locked out in the storm.
In 1984, Dorothy Bean wrote in her daily diary about Brubacher House garden mischief:
- June 15: Rabbit ate off my beans in garden.
- June 22: Rabbit ate off peas and beets.